Prepare for Kindergarten
Ready or Not, Here I Come!
Making the transition to Kindergarten is a big step for both children and parents. Research has shown that young children learn best through active exploration and interaction with adults, other children and materials.
The Role of the Teacher
Our teachers join the children in the wonder and excitement of their own explorations and discoveries. The teacher's role in the First Steps Early Childhood Learning Center is to plan and prepare a stimulating environment that challenges children through active exploration and interaction with materials and each other.
The Role of the Parent
You are your child's most powerful teacher! What you do at home – even before your child goes to school – is what will help him or her become a skilled and confident reader.
The Parent/Teacher Partnership
We have partnered with parents and educators to develop a list of resources and fun,age-appropriate activities that you can practice at home to ensure your child is ready for Kindergarten. A combination of Pre-Kindergarten and at home activities will ensure your child's future success.
- Tips for Parents of Babies
- Tips for Parents of Toddlers
- Tips for Parents of Preschoolers
- Tips for Parents of Kindergarteners
- Starfall: "Where children have fun learning to read."
- State of Missouri Kindergarten Entry
- Common Core State Standards
- Missouri Learning Standards for Parents
- Activities: Helping your child become a reader