13 months - 24 months
Welcome to the Toddler program at First Steps Early Childhood Learning Center! Our program encourages exploration and independence. Our curriculum features a wealth of hands-on experiences involving varied textures and materials as well as fine-motor challenges. Music, movement, imagination play and creative activities are a regular part of the Toddler program.
Core Care Groups and Ratios
Parents can keep up to date with their child's daily routine through the PreciouStatus app that outlines his/her day, including diaper changes and meals, as well as sensory play and new challenges they faced. First Steps follows an adult to child ratio of 1:4 in the Toddler Classroom at all times.
Young children are very curious about the world around them, and toddlers certainly are no exception! Our teachers understand this about children, and use the State of Missouri approved High Scope Infant & Toddler Curriculum as the basis for activities they develop for each child on their individual weekly lesson plans. You can expect your child to engage in many different sensory experiences each day, as well as exposure to language, books, and music.
Sample Daily Schedule
While we do have a daily schedule in the Toddler Program, we also do our best to accommodate individual needs. We try to remain consistent without becoming too stringent. Our goal is to build the groundwork for healthy routines and schedules later on in life. Every day, we incorporate all facets of your child’s development. Here is a sample of what your child might experience in a day:
- 6:30 - 8:30 a.m. Greeting and Organized Free Play, Diapering as needed
- 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. Circle Time Stories, Finger Plays, Music and Movement
- 9:00 - 9:15 a.m. Diapering, Wash Hands
- 9:15 - 9:30 a.m. Morning Snack
- 9:30 - 10:00 a.m. Language and Literacy Activities
- 10:00 - 10:45 a.m. Outdoor Play or Gross Motor Activities Inside
- 10:45 - 11:00 a.m. Diapering, Wash Hands
- 11:00 - 11:30 a.m. Discovery Time Centers
- 11:30 - 12:00 p.m. Lunch (Monthly Menu)
- 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. Clean Up, Story time, Puzzles
- 12:45 - 2:15 p.m. Nap Time
- 2:15 - 2:30 p.m. Diapering, Books, and Puzzles
- 2:30 - 3:00 p.m. Math Activities
- 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Clean Up, Wash Hands, Afternoon Snack
- 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Outdoor Play or Gross Motor Activities Inside
- 4:00 - 4:15 p.m. Diapering, Wash Hands
- 4:15 - 5:00 p.m. Choice Time (blocks, dramatic play, art, etc.)
- 5:00 - 5:15 p.m. Clean Up
- 5:15 - 6:00 p.m. Closing Activities
Enrolling a toddler at First Steps Childcare, read our toddler supply list for items you will need to supply.