3 - 4 year olds
Welcome to the Preschool program at First Steps Early Childhood Learning Center! Your preschooler has undoubtedly achieved a number of developmental milestones in their young lives, and our preschool program is designed to help that continue.
The program is built around the HighScope's vision of preschool education, children are doers and problem solvers, and adults are partners who share in children’s discoveries and gently guide their learning. Teachers Set the stage for learning by incorporating activities from the five main curriculum content areas:
- approaches to learning language
- literacy, & communication
- social and emotional development
- physical development, health, and well-being
- and arts and sciences
Within these areas are 58 key developmental indicators - observable early childhood milestones that guide teachers as they plan learning experiences and interact with children.
In addition, every month we focus on one of the following special Value Themes to assist in the character development of our young students:
- Love and Joy
- Caring and Sharing
Our Preschool classroom is designed with the following specialized learning centers that provide unlimited educational opportunities through self-directed exploration and fun!
- Reading Center
- Math Concepts
- Science and Discovery
- Dramatic Play
- Music and Movement
- Puzzles and Games
Groups and Ratios
Your child's Teacher will give you a detailed written report each evening at pick-up that outlines his/her day. First Steps follows an adult to child ratio of 1:10 in the Preschool Classroom at all times.
Children are required to be potty trained before beginning the preschool program. Click here to get the facts of timing, techniques and handling the inevitable accidents.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 6:30 - 8:30 a.m. Greeting and Organized Free Play
- 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Group Time, Morning Message, Music, and Calendar
- 9:30 - 9:45 a.m. Restroom, Wash Hands
- 9:45 - 10:00 a.m. Morning Snack
- 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. Language and Literacy Activities
- 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. Special Rotation (Spanish, P.E., Music, Library, Art)
- 11:00 - 11:30 a.m. Outdoor Play or Gross Motor Activities Inside
- 11:30 - 12:00 a.m. Restroom, Wash Hands, Discovery Centers
- 12:00 - 12:30 p.m. Lunch (Monthly Menu)
- 12:30 - 12:45 p.m. Clean Up, Restroom and Story time
- 12:45 - 2:15 p.m. Nap Time
- 2:15 - 3:00 p.m. Math Activities
- 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. Clean Up, Wash Hands, Afternoon Snack
- 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Outdoor Play or Gross Motor Activities Inside
- 4:00 - 4:15 p.m. Restroom, Wash Hands
- 4:15 - 5:00 p.m. Choice Time (blocks, dramatic play, art, etc.)
- 5:00 - 5:15 p.m. Clean Up
- 5:15 - 6:00 p.m. Closing Activities
Enrolling a preschooler at First Steps Preschool, read our preschool supply list for items you will need to supply.